top of page


The United Kingdom consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.  In England, there are 470 airports. London has five airports: Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead, London City and Luton. The first three have underground connections to the centre of London and are the main London airports. The top 10 busiest airports in the UK are:


  • Heathrow

  • Gatwick

  • Manchester

  • Stansted

  • Birmingham

  • Glasgow

  • Edinburgh

  • Luton

  • Belfast International

  • Bristol

Accommodation in the UK 

In the UK, you have the option to either buy or rent a home. Purchasing a property can be a lengthy process, so you may need to rent ahead of completing your move.

Points to be considered before you rent a house:

  • Is the landlord or letting agent trying to charge any fees? 

  • For how long do you want the tenancy for? 

You can ask for a tenancy to be any time between 6 months and 7 years. This has to be agreed with the landlord.

  • What can you afford? 

Think of how much rent you can afford. Usually, 35% of the take-home pay is the maximum that many people can afford. But this depends on what your other outgoings are; for example, whether you have children.

  • Are you entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit? 

If so, you may get help with all or part of your rent. If you are renting from a private landlord, you will receive up to the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate to cover or help with the cost of the rent.

  • Which area would you like to live in, and how are you looking for a rented home?

The broader the area in which you are willing to look, the better your chances of discovering the perfect home.

  • Do you have your documents ready?

Landlords and agents will want to verify your name, immigration status, credit history, and job status, among other things.

  • Do you have the right to rent property in the UK? 

Landlords are responsible for ensuring that all tenants over the age of 18 who reside in their property as their primary or sole residence have the legal right to rent. They will need to duplicate your documents and return them to you.

  • Will you need a rent guarantee? 

Some landlords might ask someone to guarantee your rent.

For more info, visit:

Cost of Accommodations for rent:

In the United Kingdom, accommodation cost varies from place to place. The rental prices in the UK depend on where you like to live and the type of apartments you want. To minimize the expenses you can share your accommodation or house. Usually, the accommodation expense in UK is £250 to £700 per month per person. In major cities like London, Manchester is more expensive compared to other places in the United Kingdom. The average hotel costs in London for a single room is £50 to £300 per day and for a double room £75 to £450 per day. 

When you opt to rent, there are two options:

  1. Option one is to live in a shared property. Shared accommodation allows you to cut the cost of rent and utilities in exchange for a single or a double bedroom. Other facilities such as the living room, kitchen, bathroom and garden are all communal.

  2. Option two is to rent accommodation of your own. It means you must pay all costs, but no need to share facilities.

Rental flats (apartments) or houses can be furnished or unfurnished. Furnished accommodation usually includes a bed, wardrobe, kitchen appliances and a sofa.

The best way to find accommodation to buy or rent is by using a local estate agent. There are usually several agencies in towns and cities, mainly located on the high street. You can also conduct your own searches for property to buy or rent on the internet.

For more info, visit:


Few Recommendations: (Buy and Rent) (Buy and Rent) (Buy and Rent) (Rent only)

BRP Card

A biometric residence permit (BRP) can be used to confirm you’re:

  • Identity

  • Right to study or work in the UK

  • Right to any public services or benefits you’re entitled to

  • You do not have to apply separately for a BRP.​


You’ll usually get a BRP if you:

  • Apply to come to the UK for longer than 6 months

  • Extend your visa to longer than 6 months

  • Apply to settle in the UK

  • Transfer your visa to a new passport

  • Apply for certain Home Office travel documents

BRP will include:

  • Your name, date and place of birth.

  • Your fingerprints and a photo of your face (this is your biometric information).

  • Your immigration status and any conditions of your stay

  • Whether you can access public funds, for example benefits and health services.

  • You may have a National Insurance (NI) number printed on the back of your BRP. Not all BRPs have this - it depends on factors like the date it was issued and your visa status.

How to collect the BRP Card?

Collect your BRP once you’re in the UK.

You must usually do this before the vignette sticker in your travel document expires or within 10 days of arriving in the UK, whichever is later. Check your decision letter. It will tell you to collect your BRP from either:

  • A named Post Office branch.

  • Your sponsor if you chose this option when you applied.

You must be over 18 to collect a BRP.


  • Bring your passport or travel document with your vignette sticker in when you collect your BRP.

  • You’ll get your vignette sticker when your visa application is approved. You have permission to come to the UK within 30 days of getting it.

Collecting a Child’s BRP

  • You must be nominated to collect a child’s BRP, even if you’re the child’s parent.

  • The Home Office will tell you within 5 working days if you’re approved to collect the child’s BRP.

National Insurance

  • Your NI number is unique to you and ensures that your contributions and tax payments are properly recorded against your name.

  • As a UK worker, you must pay National Insurance (NI) in order to build up your entitlement to certain state benefits, including the state pension.

  • These contributions are based on the amount of money you are paid and are deducted from your salary each month.

  • It also acts as your reference number in any dealings.

  • Call the National Insurance number application line to ask for an application form.

  • National Insurance number application line (England, Scotland and Wales).

     Telephone: 0800 141 2075

     Text phone: 0800 141 2438

  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

  • Return the application form along with your proof of identity (Passport & BRP) and your right to work or study in the UK.

  • Refer the application form for any other Proof of documents to be submitted.

  • After you apply, it can take up to 6- 8 weeks to get your National Insurance number.

Documents Required:

  • Passport Copy

  • BRP Copy

  • Filled Application Form.  

Currency in the UK

The pound sterling (symbol: £) is the official currency of the United Kingdom, and it is subdivided into 100 pence (symbol: p). You may acquire notes in the denominations of £50, £20, £10, and £5, as well as coins in the denominations of £2, £1, 50p, 20p, 10p, 5p, 2p, and 1p. You can also get coins in the denominations of £2, £1, 50p, 20p, 10p, 5p, 2p, and 1p. Banks, travel agencies, and post offices are just a few of the sites where you can exchange money in the United Kingdom. Among the many nicknames for £ are Pound Sterling, Sterling, Quid, and Nickel.

Bank Account

To open a bank account in the United Kingdom, you'll need two pieces of documentation: one to prove your identification and another to prove your residence. This is true for both in-branch and online transactions. There is no single list of documents that are accepted as evidence of address; instead, each bank has its own list of approved documents. Generally speaking, these are comprised of the following: Rent or mortgage agreement; latest power or gas bill; and any other relevant documentation (less than 3 months old) Not printed off the internet, but a recent (less than 3 months old) bank or credit card statement is OK. The current amount of council tax is due. Credit card statements and a temporary driving licence will not be accepted as proof of identification.

Documents required opening a bank account in the UK without proof of address?

  1. Letter confirming your National Insurance number


Note: Barclays, Lloyds, HSBC and NatWest all offer international bank accounts. In these banks account can be opened in the home country and accessed internationally.

Bank Accounts types:

In the United Kingdom, there are several different sorts of accounts, but the most common is a regular current bank account, which is used for basic everyday activities such as paying bills and receiving a salary. Overdraft protection is usually included with these types of accounts, as is a debit card and a chequebook. Savings accounts provide a greater interest rate than checking accounts and are intended for just what their name implies: saving money.

Credit and Debit cards: 

Credit cards, debit cards, and contactless payment methods are widely used in the United Kingdom, and they are the quickest and most convenient way to pay for products. Visa and MasterCard (International) are the two most widely used credit cards in the world.

Money Exchange:

Travelex, American Express and Cheque point all have branches throughout Britain and usually offer good exchange facilities.  Marks & Spencer (one of the most popular and well-recognised department stores in the UK) has bureaux de change in more than 110 of its stores across the UK. They charge no commission on foreign currency travellers’ cheques and only 1 per cent on sterling travellers’ cheques. Many post offices across the UK also offer bureaux de change services. 


Banking Hours:

Banks and building societies may be found on nearly every high street and are normally open from 9 a.m. to 16 p.m., Monday through Friday; however, opening hours might vary depending on the location. Some banks, particularly in larger towns and cities, may also be open on Saturdays and Sundays. During public holidays (also known as Bank holidays), banks are closed, and some Scottish banks are closed for an hour during lunchtime. As a result, many banks now have 24-hour banking lobbies where you may access a variety of services through ATMs (also known as cash machines), and support is available online 24 hours a day, seven days a week (24/7).

Health Care

Health care surrounds the UK's National Health Service (NHS), which is probably one of the greatest in the world. The service provides free hospital treatment on-site. Private healthcare is also available, although at a cost. You must be registered with a family doctor, often known as a general practitioner, to receive NHS treatment (GP). Do this as soon as you arrive in the UK. In England, you don't pay to see a GP, but prescriptions are £8.60. Prescriptions are free in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. If you require emergency medical care but it is not life-threatening, dial 111. Call 999 if you fear for your life. Then you'll be told where to go for treatment.

You can go to an urgent care centre if you require immediate medical assistance but it is not life-threatening. Currently, the NHS offers walk-in clinics, urgent care clinics, minor injury units, and urgent treatment clinics, all of varying quality. This means they will either be termed urgent treatment facilities or offer other primary health care services by autumn 2020 Urgent care centres want to provide a consistent service across the country. They're GP-led and open at least 12 hours every day (including bank holidays). Clinics – Unable to arrange an appointment with your doctor or not yet registered, you might go to a walk-in clinic. Once there, fill out a form and join a line. You will see a doctor that day and it is free. If you are aged 13-16, your information will be kept private and no one in your household will be contacted without your agreement. Your co-workers may advise you to contact your parents or another trusted adult.

Sexual Health: Consultations on sexual health are provided free of charge. You can usually walk in, but sometimes you need an appointment. You can get free condoms, birth control tablets, and a pregnancy test. Some clinics will also test for STDs.

Dentist: Dentistry is one of the few NHS services where you have to pay a co-payment. Charges must be agreed upon before therapy begins. Emergency dental treatment costs £22.70. 

For more information visit

Childcare: Childcare is offered all around the UK, with rates changing depending on service level, child's age, and location. Private nurseries typically accept children as young as six months old and charge between £30 and £100 per day. Many workplaces provide a Daycare Voucher programme where you can set aside a portion of your wages that isn't tax deductible for childcare expenses. The Tax Free Childcare Scheme provides financial assistance to parents based on parameters such as household income. Three-year-olds are eligible for 30 hours of free childcare. 

For more information visit


Pharmacists in the UK are highly trained professionals who should be able to assist you in most instances. You can find many community pharmacies in towns and villages in and around the UK where pharmacists will be able to dispense medication, dispose of out-of-date medication and offer advice on minor ailments and wellbeing. If you're feeling unwell a pharmacist will be able to help you decide whether or not you need to see a healthcare professional. You can buy a wide range of over-the-counter drugs in Britain. Many medicines, however, are available only with a doctor’s prescription so if you are likely to need medication, either bring it with you or ask your usual doctor to write out the name of the drug you need. If you are entitled to an NHS prescription, you will be charged a standard rate; if not, you will be charged the full cost of the drug. Some pharmacies are open until midnight; contact your local hospital for a list. You can call the NHS 111 Service, a 24-hour helpline or, for emergencies, go to a hospital A&E department. In an emergency, dial 999 for assistance.

Medicines during travel

When travelling with medicines, you are permitted to bring the following items: Not more than 100ml of essential medications, including liquid nutritional items and inhalers, are required. If you require medical equipment for your journey, make sure to bring it along with you! You'll need supporting documents from a medical practitioner who can vouch for your qualifications (for example a letter from your doctor or a copy of your prescription). In order to screen the liquids at the security check, airport personnel may need to open the containers. Equipment for medical use is subjected to a special screening procedure.

Mobile Network connection

Competition in the UK is high since there are so many different mobile operators to choose from. To our advantage, this also means that mobile package agreements are often very good value for money, especially when combined with home broadband service. When acquiring a SIM card, no documentation is necessary, and there are no fees associated with the purchase of a SIM card.

  • BT

  • Lebara

  • O2

  • EE

  • Virgin

  • Three

  • Vodafone

  • Giffgaff

  • Lyca

Broadband PRoviders

  • BT

  • Sky

  • Post office

  • PlusNet

  • Post office

  • Virgin Media

  • Origin

  • Virgin Media

TV Licence

Watch or record programmes on a TV, computer, or other device as they’re broadcast

Download or watch BBC programmes on I Player – live, catch up or on demand

A TV Licence costs £157.50 (£53 for black and white TV sets) for both homes and businesses.

A single TV Licence covers all the following in a single property:

  • TV sets

  • Computers

  • laptops

  • Tablets

  • Mobile phones

  • Any other device that can receive a TV signal.

You do not need a TV Licence to watch:

  • Non-BBC programmes on online catch-up services.

  • Videos or DVDs.

  • Clips on websites like YouTube.

  • Closed circuit television (CCTV).

  • Most of the regional channels can be watched by paying Monthly/ Yearly subscriptions to Yupp TV, Movies Through Prime, Netflix and Sports Channels by subscribing to Now TV.

  • You can be fined up to £1,000 if you watch or record live TV without a TV Licence.

You can get more information on the following website:

Gas & Electricity Providers

  • British Gas

  • Octopus Energy

  • Ebico

  • Spark Energy

  • Scottish Power

  • Green star Energy


The voltage in Britain is 220/240 AC, 50 Hz. Electrical plugs have three rectangular pins and take fuses of 3, 5 and 13 amps.

Visitors from abroad will need an adaptor for appliances that have been brought from home, such as laptops, hairdryers, and phone chargers.

To acquire a connection, address Proof is mandatory.

Electricity/Gas card – How to Top up 

  • Put your key or card into the meter for at least a minute to activate it.

  • Top up your key or card at a convenient Payzone or Post Office.

  • Put the key or card into your meter. 

  • Most of the companies have smart pay option through online / App for customer convenience.

Top Comparisons websites

  • Compare the Market

  • U Switch

  • Money Supermarket

  • Money Saving Expert


  • Go Compare

Council Tax

If you are over the age of 18 and own or rent a home, you are required to pay council tax. A full Council Tax bill is calculated on the assumption that a home has at least two adults residing in it. The bill is jointly and severally liable amongst spouses and partners who live in the same household. 25 percent off your payment if you qualify as an adult for Council Tax and either: you live on your own, no one else in your home qualifies as an adult; or you qualify as an adult for Council Tax and both. There will be a 50 percent discount applied if there is no one residing in your home who qualifies as an adult, including you. If everyone in your household, including you, is enrolled as a full-time student, you will not be required to pay any Council Tax. 

For more info visit:

Income Tax

When you make money, you have to pay taxes on it. You won't have to pay tax on your earnings in the majority of circumstances. Amount of money you receive as a salary or wage from your job. Any earnings you make as a self-employed person, including those from services you sell on websites or through applications, can be deducted from your taxable income.


The following are some of the benefits of living in each state:

A few examples of accessible grants include the Self-Employment Income Support Program, the Small Business Grant Fund, the Retail Hospitality and Leisure Grant Program, and the Corona Virus Job Retention Program. State pensions, company and individual pensions, and retirement annuities are just a few of the many retirement benefits that are available. Unless you're an in-home landlord who earns less than the maximum rent per room, all rental income is subject to federal taxation. Employment-related advantages that you’ve accrued an example of trust revenue are trustee income.

Deposits that are greater than the amount of money you have set aside earn interest.


Value added tax, also known as VAT, is a tax that you must pay when you purchase goods or services. The standard rate of VAT in the United Kingdom is 20 percent, with approximately half of the things that households purchase falling within this category. When it comes to certain items such as children's car seats and home energy, there is a reduced cost of 5 percent that applies.

For more info visit:

Inheritance Tax

Inheritance Tax is a tax on the estate (the property, money and possessions) of someone who’s died.

There’s normally no Inheritance Tax to pay if the value of your estate is below the £325,000 or if you leave everything above the £325,000 threshold to your spouse, civil partner, a charity or a community amateur sports club 

For more info visit:


You’ll be able to claim the new State Pension if you’re:

  • A man born on or after 6 April 1951

  • A woman born on or after 6 April 1953

The earliest you can get the new State Pension is when you reach State Pension age. To qualify for any State Pension, you must have a minimum of ten qualifying years on your National Insurance record. They do not have to be 10 qualifying years in a row. This means for 10 years at least one or more of the following applied to you:

  • You were working and paid National Insurance contributions

  • You were getting National Insurance credits for example if you were unemployed, ill or a parent or carer

  • You were paying voluntary National Insurance contributions

  • If you’ve lived or worked abroad you might still be able to get some new State Pension.

You might also qualify if you’ve paid married women’s or widow’s reduced rate contributions.

For more info visit:

Cost of Living 

The cost of living is dependent on where you live in the UK. The prices of accommodation, goods and services are generally more expensive in the south of England, particularly in London. In contrast, living in the north of England or in Scotland can prove much more affordable, although public transport can be far less reliable in more rural areas. In addition to monthly mortgage repayments/rent payments, you must pay council tax (to fund local services) and monthly utility bills, including gas, water and electricity, all of which are dependent on usage. The main costs that you need to consider are:

  • Accommodation in UK

  • Transport in UK

  • Food and drinks in UK

  • Entertainment in UK

  • Clothing in UK

Transport in UK

Transport in the United Kingdom is facilitated with road, air, rail, and water networks. There are many options for transport in UK. You can choose to travel by bus, ferry, train, taxi, airplane or even drive on your own. Many of the UK’s public services that largely depend on where you live. In large cities, public transport networks are well-developed and cost-effective, however, in smaller towns and cities, the service can be temperamental at best. The British transport network is one of the most advanced in the world, boasting in many paved roads, modern railways, airports and so on. However, as you would expect it’s a highly populated country and the traffic in the UK might be a bit painful to you especially if you’re not used to waiting in queues. Particularly in big cities like London is overwhelmingly busy. And because some of the British cities are such over-crowded the types of transportation you choose may not be entirely up to you.

Public Transport 

The public transport system in the UK varies depending on your location. If you live in a city such as London, the transport links are excellent and run frequently. If you live in a rural area, there are far fewer services from which to choose.

National bus service

In every one of the larger cities in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland you will find a coach station with connections all throughout the British Isles and to Mainland Europe.

Companies like Easy Bus, Megabus or National Express connect cities throughout the UK with their extensive bus route networks.

Birmingham, Glasgow, London, Sheffield and many more amazing cities in Great Britain can easily be reached.

For those of you who’d rather hop on a plane to get to your next destination, airport shuttle services are readily available.

The coach usually connects the main gates at airports like the ones in Edinburgh, London, Manchester or Southampton with the respective city centre.


Traveling around the United Kingdom is quite straightforward. The country has an enormous train network and also provides a number of long-distance (coach) transportation options for travellers. A scenic and pleasant mode of transportation, travelling by train allows you to experience Britain while also instilling a genuine feeling of adventure into your journey. The rail network runs the length and breadth of the country, servicing more than 2,500 stations. It is efficient and dependable, with journeys from London to Scotland taking as little as four hours. The mainline routes in Britain are home to the fastest and most comfortable trains in the world. It is always a good idea to reserve your seat in advance, especially if you plan to travel during peak hours, such as Friday evenings or Saturday mornings. Mainline trains are equipped with dining cars and air conditioning, and they are relatively quick – for example, travelling from London to the capital city of Scotland, Edinburgh takes only 4 hours and 20 minutes direct, and travelling from London Paddington to the capital city of Wales, Cardiff, takes only 2 hours direct. A yellow line above a train window denotes that the compartment is a first-class one. Remember that even if the train is completely packed, you will not be able to seat in the first-class section without paying the full cost. On Sundays and public holidays, trains may be slower and less frequent than they are on other days.


The London Underground rail network, also called "the Tube", is a great way to travel to, from and around central London. The Underground is divided into nine zones: central London is covered by zone 1. There are 11 Tube lines. The Tube fare depends on how far you travel, time of day, and how you pay. Oyster or contactless payments are the cheapest ways to pay for single fares. Tube services usually run from 5am until midnight, with Night Tube services on some lines on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Travelling around London on the Tube?

Here are some other useful tips that will make your journey more enjoyable and efficient:

  • Avoid travelling during rush hours (weekdays, 7-9am and 5.30-7pm) if at all possible

  • Check the front of the train for the correct destination

  • Stand on the right when using escalators

  • Wait for passengers to leave the train before boarding

  • Move down inside the Tube carriages while travelling, so you don't block the doorways for other passengers

  • Stand behind the yellow line whilst waiting for the train on the platform

  • Offer your seat to anyone who is unwell, elderly, pregnant or travelling with small children

  • Hold onto the rails if you are standing during your journey

  • Mind the gap!

Oyster card

The Oyster card is a payment method for public transport in London in the United Kingdom. A standard Oyster card is a blue credit-card-sized stored-value contact-less smart-card. It works like a smart card that you add money to, so you can pay as you go. You can pay as you go to travel on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, most TfL Rail, Emirates Air Line and Thames Clippers River Bus services. You can also travel on most National Rail services in London and some outside London.


How much is an Oyster card?

A Visitor Oyster card costs £5 (plus postage) and is pre-loaded with pay as you go credit for you to spend on travel. You can choose how much credit to add to your card: £10, £15, £20, £25, £30, £35, £40 or £50. The credit on your card never expires - it stays there until you use it. Those live in London are advised to purchase an Oyster card. This will give you discounted travel on Tube, Trams, Buses, Docklands light railway (DLR), London Over ground, and some National rail services in London.


Where can I get an Oyster card?

If you live in the United Kingdom, you can pay online using contactless and an Oyster account. Many newsagents in London have Oyster Ticket Stops where you may purchase your tickets. At all Tube, London Overground, and TfL Rail stations, as well as at most other locations. Several DLR and National Rail stations and in Visitor Information centres. At the Tramlink Shop in Croydon, to be precise. There are a variety of fare options available for seniors and those with disabilities. You can find out more about pay-as-you-go by visiting Also visit ,


London taxis (black cabs) are metered taxis licensed to pick up passengers on the street and to operate from designated taxi ranks.  The maximum fare payable for a taxi journey will be shown on the taximeter at the end of the journey. There is a minimum fare of £3.20 at all times. The passenger will be expected to pay the full fare displayed on the meter at the end of the journey unless the driver and passenger agree on the final fare to be charged before the start of the journey. There is no extra charge when paying by credit or debit card. Extra charges must be added on the meter at the start of the journey. There are no extra charges for luggage, additional passengers or carrying of assistance dogs. A taxi fare can depend on a number of things, including the type of taxi you use (class A, B, C, or D) and when your journey takes places. Never use an unlicensed taxi. 

'Rate 3' in the table above applies from 8.00 pm the day before, until 6.00 am the day after on the following days 

  • St Patrick's Day 

  • Good Friday

  • Easter Monday

  • May Day

  • Spring Bank Holiday

  • 12 July

  • Summer Bank Holiday

  • The extra mile charge has been rounded up to make it easy to judge the rough cost of a journey. The actual cost is closer to £1.57 per mile for rate 1, 2 and 3 for example.

There may be extra charges if:

Your taxi journey includes some waiting time or is held up by traffic. More than four passengers use the taxi – £1.00 for each extra passenger. Your taxi journey is to an airport and the taxi has to pay for entry to the airport. If you spoil the taxi and the driver has to stop working to get the vehicle cleaned (this charge is up to a maximum of £75.00). You will be offered a receipt for your fare. 


Mini Cabs

Only a licenced operator can arrange for private hire vehicles (minicabs). When renting a car in the United Kingdom, make sure you shop around to find the best deal. Rent a vehicle services like Avis, Budget, and Hertz are well-known for providing high-quality service. Check with the companies to see if they include insurance coverage; if not, look elsewhere. A credit card deposit will be required as well. To pick up the hired car, you'll need your driver's licence, proof of address, and your passport.


The UK education system is worldwide reputed for its high quality and standards. In general, the British higher education system has five stages of education: early years, primary years, secondary education, Further Education (FE) and Higher Education (HE). Britons enter the education system at the age of three and up to 16 are obliged to attend school (compulsory education), while afterward is upon their choice. This aging time frame contains two sections of the education system in UK: Primary and Secondary School.

About 94% of pupils in England and rest of the UK receive free education from Public funds. Rest 6% attend independent fee paying schools or home schooling. The school year usually begins in September and concludes in July and is split into three terms. Children are required to attend primary school from the age of five, although four-year-olds are eligible to be registered, too. Children between the ages of 11 and 16 must attend secondary education. Once compulsory education has been completed, students may seek further education at college or university, or find employment.


Admission Criteria

All schools have admission criteria to decide which children get places. The school or local council usually set these. Admission criteria are different for each school. They may give priority to children who live close to the school, who have a brother or sister at the school already from a particular religion (for faith schools), who pass an entrance exam (for selective schools, for example grammar schools), who went to a particular primary school (a ‘feeder school’), who are eligible for the pupil premium or the service pupil premium Whose parent has worked at the school for 2 years or more


Children with special educational needs (SEN)

If your child has SEN, their Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan will name a school for them. The school must give your child a place. You can ask your local council to carry out an assessment if you think your child needs additional support with their educational, health and social needs.

For more info visit:


Having a valid driver's licence is required to drive a vehicle in the United Kingdom. The driving licence of a foreign country is valid for one year from the date of entry into the United Kingdom. It is advisable to apply for an international driving permit (IDP) if your licence is not printed in English. It is possible to convert a driving licence from a left-side driving country to a right-side driving country. If you are planning on remaining in the UK indefinitely, you will need to apply for a UK driving licence.

For additional info, go to




The vehicle must have a current MOT certificate. It is necessary to insure and tax the vehicle.


Rules of the Road

  • As you drive around the UK, keep some basic driving rules in mind, and know that the UK uses miles per hour, so there's no need to convert to kilometres.

  • Driving on the left side of the road

  • Speed limits: On highways, the speed limit is usually 70 miles per hour (mph), but on country roads, it slows down to 40 or 50 mph.

  • U-turns: Drivers are allowed to execute a U-turn or 3-point-turn on any UK road where it can be safely done, and it is not expressly forbidden. 

  • You'll know when U-turns are not permitted if you see a sign with an upside-down "U" crossed out with a red line.

  • Seat belts: It is illegal not to wear a seatbelt in the UK, and if you are caught you could be fined up to 500 pounds.

  • Children and car seats: Children under 12 years old or shorter than 4 feet 5 inches (135 centimetres) must be fitted in a car seat.

  • Driving - Fines & Penalties

  • The minimum penalty for speeding is a £100 fine and 3 penalty points added to your licence.

  • You could be disqualified from driving if you build up 12 or more penalty points within a period of 3 years

For more info visit:


If there is a noise nuisance, the council can issue an abatement notice to the individual who is causing the noise as well as the owner or occupier of the property in question. The night time hours are from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. The law establishes a maximum quantity of noise that is acceptable during the night hours in order to decrease the nuisance caused by dwellings and businesses. When noise levels surpass the authorised limit, the district council can investigate and take action against the neighbour or other source of the excessive noise. When a council investigates a noise complaint about a neighbour, entertainment venue, pub, club, or restaurant during the night hours, they have the authority to issue a warning under the Noisy Neighbourhoods Act. A fixed-penalty notice should be sent. Take control of any noise-making equipment.


Smoke alarms are self-contained devices that incorporate a means of detecting a fire (smoke detector) and giving a warning (alarm), usually a very loud beeping sound.

  • They are about the size of a hand and are normally fitted to the ceiling.

  • All smoke and heat alarms should be interlinked.

  • They can detect fires in their early stages and give you those precious minutes to enable you and your family to leave your house in safety.

  • A smoke alarm will be on every storey of the premises on which there is a room used wholly or partly as living accommodation.


  • The sight of a traditional bobby (an affectionate term for a policeman) walking the streets is still a common occurrence and police patrol cars frequently navigate towns and cities.

  • There are police stations across cities, towns and villages that you can go to should you need to.   

  • Unlike in many other countries, the police force in Britain does not carry guns but there are specially trained Firearms Officers.

  • If you are lost, ask a policeman or woman – they are courteous, approachable and helpful.

  • Traffic wardens may also be able to help you with directions. If you have been the victim of a robbery or an assault, contact the police by dialling 999 or 101 for non-emergencies.

  • All Britain's major cities have police community support officers, who patrol the city streets working alongside the police.

  • They are able to deal with anti-social behaviour, can offer advice on crime prevention and can also help you with directions and information.

Emergency Numbers

Ambulance: 999

Fire: 999

Police: 999

Non- Urgent police calls: 101

24-Hour Medical advice: 111

A brief about British Citizens

These little cultural differences will be a regular part of adapting to life in UK, and so it’s important to learn them before you even arrive. You want to make sure that you don’t offend anyone as you’re getting used to life in UK

  • The British are punctual

  • Never jump lines, known as “queues” in UK

  • In the UK, it’s acceptable to keep one arm’s length between yourself and those you are speaking with. 

  • Please, thank you, sorry and excuse me are normal parts of everyday conversations and interactions. 

  • The British have a high amount of respect for older adults and the disabled

  • British people rarely use superlatives and are not very animated when they speak

  • British people often avoid extended eye contact. 

  • If you are invited to the home of a native British person, it is normal to bring along a gift, such as   chocolate, wine, or flowers to say thank you.

  • If you go to a pub with your friends, it is common practice to buy a round of drinks for those who you   came with.

  • The person who has invited you to dinner is typically the one who pays. 

  • Not only true in London, but throughout the rest of the UK, it’s an unwritten rule that you should stand   on the right of escalators. The left is for people who like to run up them if they’re in a rush.

Did you know?

  • On Average 165 million cups of tea  are consumed every day in Britain

  • There are 100 universities in UK

  • The UK was the first country to use postage stamps.

  • London is home to the world’s largest library

  • There are total 69 official cities

  • London has more Indian restaurants.

  • The oldest house in UK has stone furniture.

  • The Queen Mary of Scotland became queen when she was just six days old.

  • You get a personalized card from the queen if you reach your 100th birthday.

  • The UK is the world’s first country to permit the formation of offspring from the DNA of three people.

  • There is a ‘Rent a Mourner’ facility to fill your funeral with fake friends.

  • All the horses, Ponies and donkeys have horse passports.

  • It is illegal to ride a hover board scooter in public

  • VAT is charged at 20 Percent

  • Speed and distance are measured in miles.

  • Central London operates a daily congestion charge of £11.50 between 07:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday

  • Average rainfall: 885 millimetres per year

  • Four seasons in one day is totally normal




  • London is the capital of the United Kingdom.

  • The Romans founded London about 50 CE. Its name is derived from the Celtic word Londinios, which         means    the place of the bold one.

  • The City of London, known simply as 'the City' which is the business and financial heart of the United   Kingdom. It is also known as the Square Mile (2.59 sq. km/1 sq. mi)

  • London is situated in south-eastern England, lying astride the River Thames some 50 miles (80 km) upstream   from its estuary on the North Sea.

  • London is made up of two ancient cities which are now joined together. 

  • The City of Westminster, where Parliament and most of the government offices are located and the        Buckingham Palace, the official London residence of the Queen and the Royal family are located.

  • Together they all make up a region known as Greater London.

  • London is the biggest city in Britain and in Europe.

  • London occupies over 620 square miles

  • London has a population of 9,304,000 (2020)

  • London is in the southeast of England.

  • London is the seat of central government in Britain.

  • The tallest building in London is the Canary Wharf Tower.

  • London was the first city in the world to have an underground railway, known as the 'Tube'.

  • Some of the most important people from countries all over the world visit the Queen at Buckingham Palace.

  • There are over 100 theatres in London, including 50 in the West End.

  • London theatre accounts for 45% of all UK theatre admissions and over 70% of box-office revenues.

  • More than 300 languages are spoken within London

  • As one of the most popular travel destinations in Europe, London offers Michelin-starred dining, electrifying entertainment and truly vibrant nightlife and a first-class transport links.

  • The  four prominent UNESCO World Heritage Sites in London are  The Tower of London , The Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew, The Palace of Westminster, Maritime Greenwich

Top 10 Shopping websites in UK

  • Amazon UK

  • ASOS

  • eBay UK

  • Tesco

  • Argos

  • Curry’s and PC World

  • Forever21

  • John Lewis

  • Marks & Spencer

  • Zalando

British Cuisine

British cuisine is a culmination of the country's long history of culinary techniques and customs. Traditional British meals like the full English breakfast, fish and chips, Christmas supper, Sunday roast, steak and kidney pie, shepherd's pie, and bangers and mash are well-known throughout the United Kingdom. Meat is a staple meal in the British diet. There's a lot of protein in this dish: fish, potatoes, flour, butter, and eggs. People in Britain, on the other hand, enjoy a diverse range of dishes influenced by European, Indian, and other global cuisines. English, Scottish, and Welsh cuisines as well as Northern Irish food all have significant regional variations. Many of these regionally designated meals, such as Cornish pasties, the Yorkshire pudding, Cumberland sausage, Arbroath Smokie, and Welsh cakes, have created their own regional or local specialties. A true British national cuisine, chicken tikka masala is borrowed from Indian Kitchen. While Italian and Greek food remains favourites, Americans have increasingly embraced dishes from other parts of Europe. You can find anything from Chinese takeout to Indian food to Mexican restaurants just about anywhere you go. Halal meat is readily accessible and prominently labelled in city eateries as the UK welcomes people from all over the world.

The United Kingdom's Entertainment Industry

England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, the four countries that make up the United Kingdom, are all distinct and have their own customs, cultures, and traditions.


The United Kingdom is a swarm of activity when it comes to entertainment. The United Kingdom has something for everyone, from world-class theatre to peaceful walks in the countryside. London has everything a global capital city should have in terms of nightlife, culture, and entertainment, and the world-famous West End offers a wide range of options every day of the week. Live music is also well-known in cities like Manchester and Brighton. Sporting events and venues abound in London and elsewhere in the UK, making it a great destination for sports fans. Theme parks abound for the young and young-at-heart alike, with locations around the country. When you're not at work, it's natural to want to see more of the United Kingdom. Many world-renowned sights are located in London, but if you want more adventure, consider travelling outside the city.


Sport has a significant cultural impact in the UK. Many prominent worldwide sports have their origins in the United Kingdom, such as football (soccer), badminton (billiards), croquet (curling), snooker (snooker), squash, and water polo (squash). Football is the most popular sport in the United Kingdom, and there are over one hundred teams in the conventional league system. The Premier League, which is the most watched, has the best 20 teams from across the United Kingdom.


Manchester United, Liverpool, and Arsenal are the most well-known of these groups. Football in the United Kingdom is overseen by the Football Association, one of the sport's most venerable governing bodies. The FA Cup and the Capital One Cup are the two most prestigious football championships in the United Kingdom. Each year, 92 different professional football clubs compete in various tournaments. As the first city to hold the modern games three times, London has played home to the summer Olympics three times: in 1908, 1948, and most recently (2012). Cricket, the United Kingdom's national sport, first gained popularity in the country throughout the seventeenth century. UK has 18 professional county clubs, all named after historic regions of the country. These county clubs compete in the First Class County Championship, a four-day tournament including two leagues of good teams, every summer.


Historically, shopping in the United Kingdom was centred on the high street, which functioned as the primary thoroughfare connecting the country's cities. For those seeking the ideal shopping experience, London, Birmingham, Liverpool, and York all offer a unique blend of designer, high-street, and independent retailers. Department shops provide everything from clothing and accessories to household technology and sports equipment throughout the United Kingdom. Others sell food and beverages, with a variety of venues giving dining options. The United Kingdom is home to various grocery chains. This group includes Tesco, Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Morrison's, and ASDA. Here are a few places where you can find great prices on groceries: Aldi, Iceland, and Lidl are just a few of the supermarkets.


International visitors go to well-known stores such as Harrods and Liberty. London is home to flagship stores for Selfridges, Harvey Nichols, John Lewis, Marks & Spencer, Debenhams, House of Fraser, and Primark. In more populated areas, you'll find fashion boutiques such as H&M, River Island, Topshop/Topman, Next, and Zara, as well as department stores that sell apparel. To shop for men's, women's, and children's clothing, visit any major UK city or town's central shopping district. If you're into sports and recreational activities, there are a few major chains that sell sports equipment and leisurewear. Sports Direct and Decathlon are two examples. 

If you're looking for a speciality electronics retailer, check out Curry’s, PC World, Euronics, or Hughes. 

British Arts & Literature

England has, without a doubt, achieved its most influential cultural manifestation. Throughout the course of more than a millennium, each stage of the development of the English language has generated its own great works of literature. For more than a millennium, each step of the development of the English language has resulted in the creation of a great work of literature. Because the English language originated in England, the country has produced a plethora of significant literary works and authors. Despite their distinctions, they are all considered to be part of the wider canon of English literary tradition. Throughout history, literature has taken on a variety of forms and tactics to communicate its message.


Almost all of the writers and thinkers who have contributed to the development of the United Kingdom are British. The number of plays, poetry, and novels written by British authors over the course of history is probably certainly incalculable in terms of quantity. William Shakespeare was a poet, a playwright, and a performer on the stage of the Globe Theatre. He is still acknowledged as one of the finest playwrights in the history of the planet. Harry Potter is the most well-known and important cultural manifestation of the United Kingdom. Byron, Yeats, Blake, Arnold, and Kipling are just a few of the writers whose works are included in the British Literature Pantheon, which is comprised of the greatest writers in the English language.


English citizens anxiously anticipate Festival & Event season. The ways in which the New Year is celebrated vary greatly from city to city within the United Kingdom. Boxing Day is a significant element of the celebrations and events that take place in England over the holidays. Easter, Easter Monday, May Day Bank Holiday, Spring Bank Holiday, and Boxing Day are all popular celebrations in England.


  • In the UK the clocks go forward 1 hour at 1am on the last Sunday in March, and back 1 hour at 2am on the last Sunday in October.

  • The period when the clocks are 1 hour ahead is called British Summer Time (BST). There’s more daylight in the evenings and less in the mornings (sometimes called Daylight Saving Time).

  • When the clocks go back, the UK is on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).

  • For easy understanding it’s ‘spring forwards, fall back.

The official religion of the United Kingdom is Christianity, and churches of all faiths, including Catholic, Protestant, Baptist, and Methodist, may be found across the country. Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Judaism, and Buddhism are the major religions practised in the world. In the bigger towns and cities of the United Kingdom, it is simple to locate a place where you can practise your religion as well as a community of people who will welcome you, whether it be a church, mosque, gurdwara, temple, or synagogue, among many other options. In tiny communities, it is possible to only find Christian churches. Many people in the United Kingdom choose to wear their religious clothing on a daily basis (such as turbans, hijabs, and yarmulkes) and to participate in religious festivals, such as Christmas, Eid, Diwali, and Hanukkah, among others. Due to our country's tolerance, you have the freedom to decide how you want to incorporate your religious beliefs into your daily life.

  • In the UK has a temperate climate. In general, this means that Britain gets cool, wet winters and warm, wet summers. It rarely features the extremes of heat or cold, drought or wind that are common in other climates. The weather conditions are also very changeable.

  • Not all parts of the UK have the same climate. London, in the south-east of the UK, is a region characterised by a warm and dry climate in the summer and a cold and dry climate in the winter.

  • Typically, the warmest months are July and August; however, temperatures can rise in May and June.

  • The general pattern of the climate across the UK has four distinct regions:

  • South-east – cold winters, warm and dry summers

  • South-west – mild and very wet winters, warm and wet summers

  • North-west – mild winter, cool summers and heavy rain all year

  • North-east – cold winter, cool summers and steady rain all year


The stamps can be purchased at a variety of locations, including supermarkets and gas stations. When sending a letter to a British address, always include the postcode, which may be found at the Royal Mail website. Letters and postcards can be mailed first class or second class within the United Kingdom; second-class mail is less expensive but takes a day or two longer to arrive. The cost of postage is determined by the dimensions and weight of your letter. Saturday and Sunday hours are normally from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with some locations staying open until 12:30 p.m. Post boxes can be found in almost every city, town, and village in the United Kingdom. They can be either freestanding boxes or wall safes, but they are always painted a bright red colour to distinguish them from the rest. In most cases, collections are conducted twice a day during the weekdays (less often on Saturdays and Sundays). The box has a time stamp that indicates when the last collection of the day will take place. Air letters are sent anywhere in the globe using the Royal Mail's airmail service; the fee varies depending on the destination. The journey to European cities takes an average of three days, and the journey to other locations takes between four and six days. Additionally, the Royal Mail has an express airmail service known as Air sure, which is available at all post office offices. The mail is transported to its destination on the first available flight. For more info visit


  • Do stand in line.

  • Do say 'Excuse Me'

  • Do Pay as you Go

  • Do say 'Please' and 'Thank-you'

  • Do cover your Mouth

  • Do Shake Hands

  • Do Smile

  • Do take an Umbrella

  • Do greet people you meet

  • Do lower the volume

  • Do take your appointments seriously

  • Do Respect personal space


  • Do not greet people with a kiss

  • Do not stare at anyone in public

  • Do not pick your nose in public

  • Do not do gestures such as backslapping and hugging.

  • Do not speak with your mouth full of food

  • Do not ask personal or intimate questions

  • Do not eat off a knife when having a meal.

  • Don't Drive in Cities Until You're Confident You Can

  • Don’t get Offended at Being Called ‘Duck’ or ‘Mate’